While pertaining any sort of business, management is an essential tool in order to define the objectives and obtaining a substantial amount of profit from it. It is important to note how management plays an important role in determining the future of a business. If there is inadequate management measures, the business is most likely to collapse on the very basis it was structured. For this purpose, various sectors have set out a certain set of rules and policies which may help guide security management systems. While implementing security measures within the company is essential, it is important to note that the management is as important as implementation of security measures. For this purpose, certifications like ISO 27001 are intact in order to provide proper maintenance of security management. IT is an internationally recognized standard that enables best practice framework for an Information Security Management System (ISMS). This basic framework enables companies to protect information being used by them and allows them to identify potential risks that may harm the company and implements relevant controls in order to handle these situations.
It is important to note that ISMS is an important information that needs to be utilized by the company seeking out management help. Since most organizations have a number of security controls implemented within them, however, it is important that ISMS is defined within the company as well, otherwise the controls might be disorganized and disjointed, which may be implemented as a result of solution to a specific problem or just for the sake of convention. Usually, security controls with respect to operation often address certain factors of IT and data security only, which leaves non-IT related information such as paperwork completely vulnerable on the whole.
In order for ISO27001 to be effective, it is important to note that:
- The management within an IT firm systematically determine the security risks which may be posed to the company, with respect to information. This may include potential or current threats it may be posed to, the vulnerabilities it may be posed to and its impact, if precautionary measures are not taken in time.
- It is important to design proper information security control and implement it after careful identification of drawbacks it may pose. Moreover, the design should be comprehensive and effective. Other forms of risk and security management should also be considered in order to maintain a more secure information control set available for the company.
- In order to promote the organization’s security control, it is important to adopt certain overarching management processes which may enable the company to manage security and other responsibilities of a company as well as maintaining the organization’s information security needs on a regular basis as well, so that a new threat may not harm the company.
- It is important to note that information security control framework such that of ISO27001 is designed for an overall company’s performance and not just for IT purposes.
In order to determine the security controls to be intact, it is important to note that these security measures are defined by the auditor. The auditor performing security checks is a certified ISO27001 professional. The alternate measures a professional may advice may include such controls that the organization has deemed it to be within the scope of ISMS. However, it may be customary for a ISO27001 professional to perform an in-depth analysis of this report in order to avoid various problems from taking place. This all depends upon the auditor in charge, which determines the availability of the current controls, their working, functioning, authenticity and risks. These all factors must be carefully considered so that the company may work effectively. Application of ISMS are not confined to a single IT firm, but also for other firms adopting IT as a part of their business. The certification in ISO27001 should be regarded as an individual who may pertain the security management measures of all the components of the company and not just IT related company. Furthermore, there are other standards that may be implemented, which depend upon the designing, requirements and current operating system of ISMS.
Normally, in order to carry out a ISMS check on a company, a PDCA cycle is run. PDCA cycle is composed of the following components:
- Plan (establishing the ISMS):This is the starting phase of PDCA cycle, which involves determining the objective of the ISMS check on a company. This also includes determining processes and procedures related to risk management and improvement of the current information security to provide results with respect to the current information security establishment. The current policies may act as a reference for these new information security measures to be enabled.
- Do (implementing and workings of the ISMS) This involves implementing the defined objectives and goals. In other words, implementing security measures and exploiting ISMS policy, controls, methods and processes is done within this phase.
- Check (monitoring and review of the ISMS) One the controls are implemented; it is important to identify the authenticity of the new arranged set of information security controls. This involves measuring the performance of the processes against the policy, defined objectives and the practical experiences. A proper result is adjusted depending upon the obtained results. This result is generated by carefully looking upon the results obtained with respect to the current identified controls.
- Act (update and improvement of the ISMS) After the report has been generated, it is the sole responsibility of the IT firm to take certain measures in order to determine the safety of control information to be developed within the company. If the company lacks adequate control information protocol, new controls may be implemented otherwise the old controls could be modified and adapted to the changing requirements.